Posted: September 12, 2009 in Chief Inspector John George Littlechild
WALTER BENTLEY has two curiosities in his possession. One is a portrait of Signora Ristori, the great Italian tragedienne, bearing the following inscription on its back: – "To the distinguished artist, Mr. Walter Bentley, a souvenir of my tour in the provinces. – Adelaide Ristori, Marquise del Grillo, Liverpool, November 28th, 1882." The other is the following missive from J.G. Littlechild, of Scotland Yard, pronounced by Mr. Bentley to be "the boss detective of the world": – "July, 1891, Metropolitan Police Office, London. Honi soit qui mal y pense. Victoria, by the grace of God. This comes greeting to whom it may concern. Whereas the bearer of this, to wit, Walter Bentley, Esq., is a personal friend of mine, any person molesting him will do so at their peril, but any person rendering him a courtesy, will do a favour to – Yours truly, J.G. Littlechild, Chief Inspector."
Source: Observer, Volume XI, Issue 699, 21 May 1892, Page 3
Thomas Callan, the dynamiter, has been released from Portland Prison on condition that he should forthwith proceed to the United States, he being an American citizen. He was provided with civilian clothing by the authorities, and travelled direct from Weymouth to Southampton. He remained in that town until Sunday, when he took a cabin passage on board the Hamburg-American liner Furst Bismarck, in which he sailed that afternoon for New York. Thomas Callan, alias Scott, belonged to the gang, known in police circles as "The Jubilee Dynamiters." He left Lowell, Massachusetts, in which town he resided, at the end of May, 1887, for New York, whence he sailed for Liverpool in the Inman steamer City of Chester, in company with a young man named Michael Harkins, of Philadelphia. Both men were arrested in November of the same year, and subsequently sentenced to 15 years’ penal servitude each. It will be recollected that the first clue to their conspiracy was found in connection with an inquiry into the mysterious circumstances in which a co-conspirator named Cohen met his death in October, 1887. Callan and Harkins gave evidence at the coroner’s inquest on Cohen, and, thanks to the manner in which they were questioned by Mr. Munro, then Chief Commissioner of Police, further valuable facts were elicited which led to the arrest of both men by police acting under the directions of Inspector Littlechild. Several men who were connected with that conspiracy have since died. Harkins was released on August 12, 1891, on the ground of ill-health. As a matter of fact, he was suffering from an incurable disease – consumption – of which he died at his home in Philadelphia, in August, 1892, having survived his release a little less than a year.
Source: Bay Of Plenty Times, 26 April 1893, Page 3


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s