More On Young Saunderson

Posted: November 26, 2009 in The Non-Rippers
The body of a comely, well-dressed young woman, named Dawes, about 30 years old, belonging to the unfortunate class, was found in a much frequented thoroughfare, Holland Villas Road, Kensington, with her throat cut from ear to ear, late last November, and on December 4th the Scotland Yard detectives found that their clues led directly to Reginald Llewellyn Bassett Saunderson as the perpetrator of the deed. Saunderson is a nephew of the famous Colonel E.J. Saunderson, the Orange leader for North Armagh, a magistrate and deputy-lieutenant, and a son of Llewellyn Basset Saunderson, J.P., of Dublin, who married Lady Mary Scott, third sister of the Earl of Clonmel. One of Reginald Saunderson’s aunts is Lady Edith Caroline Monk, wife of the Hon. Henry P.C. Monk, eldest son of the fourth Viscount Monk. Another of his aunts is Lady Maria Henrietta Fitzclarence, whose husband is a brother to the Earl of Munster, and a grandson of William IV. So much for the pedigree of the alleged culprit, who, it appears is only twenty-one years old, tall and handsome, and an expert at football, rowing, and swimming. But he is far from strong-minded, and was sent to a school for the protection and education of gentlemen of weak intellect. It is said that his homicidal condition of mind was induced by poring over the newspaper details of the trial of a man named James C. Read, at Southend, for the murder on June 24th of a young woman named Florence Dennis, with whom he (Read) was intimate. The police first got on the track of Saunderson at Belfast, through a confession in an unsigned letter, and took him into custody; but while the prisoner was being conveyed to Dublin he escaped, and was recaptured on Dec. 3rd at Killeshandra, near Armagh, and imprisoned at the latter town, where according to a later despatch, his father visited him on Dec. 5th. It is said that the prisoner tried to commit suicide, but the gaol officials refused to give any information on the subject. It is also stated that Saunderson had confessed to the governor of the gaol that he committed the murder. A second despatch, December 8th, says Saunderson was arraigned in London. He seemed much depressed. The letter which the police received from Dublin, giving details of how the woman Dawes was murdered, was read. It was signed "Jack the Ripper." It is said to be in the prisoner’s handwriting. After formal evidence was presented the prisoner was remanded. [A cable on Saturday stated that Saunderson had been committed for trial.]
Source: Marlborough Express, Volume XXXI, Issue 5, 8 January 1895, Page 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s