Posted: December 5, 2009 in The Non-Rippers
Its Close Investigation and the Indictments Returned in March.
The Oyer and Terminer Grand Jury which completed its work yesterday was sworn in on Jan. 9 by Justice Ingraham. Since that time it has been, with the exception of Saturdays and Sundays, and from Feb. 15, for some days, in almost continuous session. The jury was made up as follows:
James G. de Forest, 62 William Street.
J. Henry Wadsworth, 31 East Twenty-eight Street.
Monroe L. Simon, tobacco dealer, 110 Broad Street.
George S. Hoe, builder, 52 Gansevoort Street.
Ezekiel P.M. Rand, expert, 35 Broadway.
Henry K. Motley, 573 Broadway.
Francis H. Leggett, 126 Franklin Street.
Samuel W. Milbank, 11 Pine Street.
Schuyler Waldron, banker, 30 Broad Street.
Theodore B. Woolesley, merchant, 26 Front Street.
Theodore Harris, merchant, 58 Cedar Street.
Frank S. Bond, Vice President, 42 Wall Street.
Benjamin B. Kirkland, broker, 42 New Street.
Sigismund Kohn, coal, 133 East Ninety-second Street.
Jonathan Thorne, leather, 28 East Forty-ninth Street.
Thomas J. French, 136 West Eighty-first Street.
Arthur W. Watson, merchant, 320 Church Street.
Peter Donald, importer, 99 Franklin Street.
George L. Jewett, metal broker, 27th Fifth Street.
Charles K. Couillard, broker, 60 Broadway.
Alexander Patton, real estate, 129 White Street
George de Forest Smith, 11 Gramercy Park.
William B. Sondheim, 699 Broadway.
Judge Ingraham charged the jury to carefully investigate every charge brought against any member of the Police Department and to bring in indictments where the evidence warranted it, so that the guilty might be brought to trial.
To this end the examinations were conducted with the utmost secrecy. Prominent among the hundred of witnesses examined were Police Capts. Creedon, Schmittberger, Pickett, Eakins, and Berghold, Mrs. Thorow, who was brought from Europe to testify: Charles Priem, who has since committed suicide; Captain Krumm, Rhoda Sanford, Ward Man Augustus Thorn, and Zella Nicolaus.
The first batch of indictments was brought in March 18, and included the following police officers:
Inspector William McLaughlin.
Capt. Jacob Siebert, Union Market Station, Thirteenth Precinct.
Capt. Michael J. Murphy, West One Hundredth Street Station, Twenty-sixth Precinct.
Capt. J.K. Price, Macdougal Street Station, Eighth Precinct.
Capt. J.J. Donohue, West Twentieth Street Station, Sixteenth Precinct.
Ex-Capt. John T. Stephenson, formerly of Leonard Street Station, reindicted; now on bail on appeal in criminal trial.
Ex-Capt. Edward Carpenter, formerly of Oak Street Station, now living in Nyack.
Ex-Capt. W.S. Devery.
Ex-Ward Man Edward G. Glennon.
Ex-Ward Man Henry H. Shill.
Ex-Ward Man James Burns.
All the indicted men except Burns, who had fled the country, were arraigned, pleaded not guilty, and were bailed. McLaughlin’s bail was fixed at $20,000. He is under five indictments. The sum asked in the other cases was $10,000, with the exception of Glennon’s, $5,000, and Price’s, $2,500.
The next batch, handed in March 22, included the following men, indicted for election frauds:
John G. Whitman, 249 West Eightieth Street.
James S. Quinn, 507 West Twenty-ninth Street.
Alonzo King, 200 West Eighty-third Street.
Michael H. Pentell, 440 West Twenty-ninth Street.
George Hartman, 537 West Twenty-ninth Street
James Quinn, 213 West Sixty-sixth Street.
John Foley, 200 West Eighty-third Street.
James Mann, Eighty-third Street and North River.
John F. Galligher, 54 West Twenty-fourth Street.
Thomas E. Leeman, 206 West Eighty-third Street.
John J. Ryan, 551 West Thirtieth Street.
Alexander Jandrew, 362 Amsterdam Avenue.
William Egan, 526 West Thirty-eighth Street.
John H. Grasser, 200 West Sixty-second Street.
John Connor, 8 Suffolk Street.
The men were arraigned, pleaded not guilty, and were held in sums ranging from $2,500 and $1,000.
District Attorney Fellows took personal charge of the investigation. He was assisted by Assistant District Attorney Lindsay and ex-Surrogate Daniel G. Rollins and Andrew G. Fox. Justice Pardon C. Williams of Watertown was appointed to sit in the Court of Oyer and Terminer to try cases arising from the Grand Jury’s investigations.
Something Also of the Lives of Messrs. Tappen, Clausen, and Brady.
Nathan Straus is a well-known merchant of New York. He was born in Otterberg, Germany, in 1848, and in 1854 he came to this country with his parents. His father, Lazarus Straus, had been a prosperous farmer until the revolution of 1848, and five years later he decided to retrieve his fortunes in the New World. With his family he settled in Talbotton, Ga. There Nathan received his early education. Later the family moved to Columbus, Ga, and in 1865 the family settled in New York. Nathan took a course in a business college.
Lazarus Straus and his son, Isidor, were engaged in the china business on Chambers Street. Nathan was taken into the firm, which has since been known as L. Straus & Son. For some time Nathan Straus traveled for the house.
In course of time Isidor and Nathan Straus, with Charles B. Webster, bought out the retail dry goods business of R.H. Macy & Co., and it is to this business that Nathan Straus gives most of his attention. Two years ago he acquired an interest in the retail dry goods business of  Wechsler & Abraham, in Brooklyn, and the firm there has been changed to Abraham & Straus.
The Straus brothers have for a number of years been very friendly with many of the leading members of Tammany Hall. Nathan Straus was brought into the political arena by Hugh H. Grant. The latter, while Mayor, tendered the appointment to Mr. Straus of a membership in the Board of Education. The offer was declined. In 1891 Mayor Grant appointed Mr. Straus a Park Commissioner. Gov. Fowler appointed him a State Forestry Commissioner.
Last fall Mr. Straus was nominated for Mayor by Tammany Hall. After two weeks of campaigning he resigned from the ticket and went to Europe. Hugh J. Grant, who had helped to manage Mr. Straus’s campaign, succeeded to his place on the ticket.
Outside of politics Mr. Straus is known to the public for his extensive plans for the amelioration of the condition of the poor of New York during the last two years. Last Summer and the Summer before he established cheap milk depots in various places in the tenement-house districts. Winter before last he established cheap coal depots on the wharves in the poorer neighborhoods on the east and west sides of the city.
Mr. Straus’s cheap milk booths became a familiar sight to New Yorkers. They were set up in City Hall Park, Battery Park, Jeannette Park, and Tompkins Square Park, and pure milk was freely dispensed to all at very cheap rates. He also opened several cheap lodging houses, and meat and soup kitchens. He started a cheap grocery store for the poor in Grand Street, on the east side.
Mr. Straus resigned from the Park Board.
Abraham B. Tappen.
Ex-Park Commissioner Abraham B. Tappen has been prominently identified with Tammany Hall for many years. He is seventy-three years old and was born in New-Hamburg, on the Hudson. He took part in the Presidential campaign of 1848. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1858, and in 1861 was elected Inspector of State Prisons. He was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1867. In 1868 he was elected a Justice of the Supreme Court of the Second District, and served the full term, fourteen years. He then resumed the practice of law.
Ex-Judge Tappen has lived in Fordham twenty-five years, and during most of that time he has been the Tammany leader of that ward. He succeeded ex-Sheriff James Flack as Grand Sachem of the Tammany Society. He served several years as Chairman of the Tammany Hall General Committee. Mr. Tappen was appointed a Park Commissioner April 21, 1891, by Mayor Hugh J. Grant, to succeed Waldo Hutchins, deceased. On May 1, 1891, when the unexpired term which Mr. Tappen was selected to fill ran out, he was appointed for a full term by Mayor Grant. He was removed in January, 1895, by Mayor Strong.
George C. Clausen.
George C. Clausen is one of the wealthiest and best-known German-American citizens of New York. He was introduced to public office by Mayor Thomas F. Gilroy, who appointed him Tax Commissioner on Jan. 4, 1893. He served in that office only four months, and on May 1, 1893, Mayor Gilroy made him a Park Commissioner.
He succeeded Paul Dana as President of the board. He was involved in the general charges against the Park Board in respect to the manner in which the one-million-dollar appropriation was spent for the benefit of the laboring poor of the city. He was also drawn into the acrimonious controversy in the board over the Harlem River Driveway.
Mr. Clausen resigned the day Mayor Strong assumed office. In his letter he said, in effect, that he had tried to do his duty as a Park Commissioner, had been unable to satisfy everybody, and had found his task a disagreeable and thankless one. The Mayor accepted his resignation.
Mr. Clausen was born in this city in 1849. He is a member of the Henry Clausen & Sons Brewing Company, and has large property interests in New York. He was for a long time a member of the Tammany Hall General Committee. He belongs to the Manhattan, New York, and Lotos Clubs, is prominent in the Liederkranz and Arion Societies, and was at one time the President of the New York Driving Club.
Police Captain Killilea.
Police Captain Thomas Killilea is one of the oldest Police Captains in New York. He was born in Ireland in 1838, and came to this country with his parents when a lad. He was appointed a patrolman Oct. 1, 1866, by ex-Judge Bosworth, in whose service he had been as a coachman; was promoted to be a roundsman July 20, 1867, became Sergeant May 27, 1868, and reached the position of Captain July 1, 1870. His first command was the Sixteenth Precinct, where he remained for a number of years. His longest term of service was in the Twenty-second Precinct. He was transferred from there to the Thirtieth Precinct, in West One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Street, owing to the complaint made against him by Mr. Clark Bell and others. It was alleged he had failed to do his duty in breaking up the Sixth Avenue Hotel, at Forty-fourth Street, which, it was complained by people in the neighborhood, was a disorderly place and a great nuisance to persons living nearby. About a year ago Capt. Killilea was transferred to the Thirty-second Precinct, West One Hundred and Fifty-second Street and Amsterdam Avenue. There was considerable testimony before the Lexow committee about Capt. Killilea.
Thomas J. Brady.
Thomas J. Brady, lately removed by Mayor Strong from his position as Superintendent of Buildings, is known to all Tammany politicians as the close personal friend of ex-Mayor Hugh J. Grant. Mr. Grant was, indeed, a protege of Mr. Brady, who backed him when in charge of the Tammany forces in the Nineteenth Assembly District. Mr. Brady and Mr. Grant, years ago made themselves popular by organizing John Kelly campaign clubs. He was originally a contractor, and helped to build the Sixth Avenue Elevated Road. He tired of that occupation, and in 1881 obtained a place in the Bureau of Buildings, which was then a branch of the Fire Department.
Mr. Brady was promoted under the administration of Henry D. Purroy. On March 29, 1889, he was appointed Superintendent of Buildings to succeed Albert F. D’Oench, whose resignation had been placed in President Purroy’s hands three days before. He had previously been Deputy Superintendent. When the Building Department was made a separate branch of the city government Mr. Brady was appointed Commissioner.
As a result of the Orchard Street disaster the regular Grand Jury in March, 1895, made a presentment recommending the entire reorganization of the Building Department. Superintendent Brady’s removal followed the presentment.
Praise For Attorney Lindsay.
Before going into court yesterday, the Grand Jury adopted the following complimentary resolutions:
Resolved. That this Grand Jury hereby expresses its high appreciation of the energy, fidelity, and skill with which the Assistant District Attorney, John D. Lindsay, has discharged the arduous duties which have devolved upon him in connection with the investigation in which it has been engaged, and be it further
Resolved. That this resolution be recorded on the minutes.
Source: The New York Times, April 6, 1895 
Note: After having read all of the details of this most fascinating trial, it becomes quite obvious that many personal accusations were made against Superintendent Byrnes which affected both himself and his family. The whole matter became quite personal to him and it was easy for him, in his state of anger, to desire to even the score with the individual/s who besmirched his character, which was as dear to him as his own family. His angry statements in regard to Joseph Liss/Silver’s testimony and the Parkhurst Society’s "job", was enough to cause him to lead people to believe that Joseph Liss may have been Jack the Ripper, despite the fact that no evidence exists that he ever was in Whitechapel in 1888-89.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s