Temporary Police Station In Dorset Street?

Posted: February 7, 2010 in Other Ripper Research
I must admit that this is the first time that I hear about a temporary police station within a few yards of Miller’s Court in Dorset Street. Could this temporary police station have been a stakeout headquarters for police officers who would go out in search of the Whitechapel murderer(s). It gives a whole new meaning to the Coroner at the inquest having asked Mary Ann Cox if the person she heard walking outside Miller’s Court at half-past 6 am on the morning of the 9th November could have been a policeman? Is this when Abberline apparently took some documentation that had supposedly been left in Miller’s Court? Maybe the police were already made aware of the atrocious crime that was perpetrated in that tiny room that morning? Could the man that Sarah Lewis saw standing in the court be a police officer? Could George Hutchinson have been a police officer? Did John McCarthy allow the police force to use a room for covert surveillance activities? Why does Mary Jane Kelly’s death certificate list the scene of the murder as 1 Miller’s Court, yet the body was found in 13 Miller’s Court? Were one of these rooms the location of a stakeout mission? The discovery of this information opens up many new avenues of research.
The Fiend of the London Slums at Work.
Sickening Mutilation of His Victim, Who Belongs to the Same Class as the Others – The Crime Shrouded in the Usual Mystery and Committed Indoors This Time and *a Few Yards* from a Police Station – Horrible Details.
LONDON, Nov. 10. – A murder which took place in Spitalfields, Whitechapel district, yesterday morning, is undeniably a continuation of the series which was for a while interrupted for want of opportunity or inclination. In this case the murderer worked leisurely, as is made evident by the fact that the killing was done in a room fronting on the street, on the ground floor, and within *a few yards* of a temporary police station, whence officers issued hourly to patrol the district. The house the murder was committed in is situated in Miller’s Court. The first door at the end and on the right of the passage opens into a tiny, damp room on a level with the pavement. The landlord of this and neighboring rooms is John McCarthy, who keeps a little shop in Dorset street on the side of the passage. About a year ago he rented it to a woman who looked about 30. She was popular among the females of the neighborhood, shared her beer generously, and went under the title of Mary Jane McCarthy. Her landlord knew that she had another name, Kelly, but her friends had not heard of it. Kelly and Mary Jane had been married in the manner which is considered satisfactory in Whitechapel. They had not gone to the expense of a license, but published the fact of their matrimony by living in one small room and sharing their joy and sorrow and drunkenness together.
Mary Jane took up her residence in the little room in Miller’s Court when Kelly went away. Since then her life has been that of all the women about her. Thursday night she went out as usual, and was seen at various low beer shops in Commercial street. In those resorts she was known, not as Mary Jane, her home name, but as "Fair Emma," a title bestowed in complimentary allusion to her appearance. At last, just before midnight, she went home with some man who appears to have dissuaded her from making a good night visit, as was her custom, at a drinking place nearest her room. No description whatever can be obtained of this man. Right opposite the passage leading to Mary Jane’s room there is a big and very pretentious lodging house, where the charge is fourpence. Some people congregated about the door at midnight are sure they saw a man and woman, the latter being Mary Jane, stop to laugh at a poster which offers 100 pounds reward for the Whitechapel murderer. The man must have enjoyed the joke, for he himself was the Whitechapel murderer, beyond all doubt.
At 10 o’clock yesterday morning three horrified policemen, who had first looked in through Mary Jane’s window and then drank big glasses of brandy to steady themselves, were breaking in her door with a pickax. The Whitechapel murderer had done his work with more horrible thoroughness than ever before. The miserable woman’s body was literally scattered all over her little room. Almost every conceivable mutilation had been practiced on the body. The woman’s nose was cut off and the face gashed, she had been completely disemboweled, as had all the murderer’s former victims, and all the intestines had been placed upon a little table, which, with a chair and the bed, constituted all the furniture in the room. Both the woman’s breasts had been removed, and placed also on the table. Large portions of the thighs had been cut away, and the head was almost completely severed from the body. One leg also was almost completely cut off. The mutilation was so frightful that more than an hour was spent by the doctors in endeavoring to reconstruct the woman’s body from the pieces so as to place it in a coffin and have it photographed.
The poor woman’s fragments, put together as skilfully as possible, are lying in the Houndsditch mortuary in a scratched and dirty shell of a coffin often used before. The mortuary is in a graveyard back of gloomy old Houndsditch church, and not a pleasant spot late at night. While the body was being carried from the scene of the murder thousands crowded as near as the police would allow and gazed with lifted caps and pitying faces at the latest victim.
Gen. Sir Charles Warren was early on the scene and told a reporter that all the precaution in the world could not prevent the work of such murderers. The sole chance remaining to the police, he said, was to catch them redhanded and their change of tactics increased the difficulty. In the open air, where the killing had been hitherto, the chance of their apprehension was slight, but in the case of an indoor murder, such as the last, the hope of arresting the perpetrator was almost barren of fruition. This latest murder will undoubtedly cause large number of arrests on suspicion, but that the monster will be brought to bay is a matter of extreme doubt since he has left no clues not worked over by the officers investigating the previous cases.
The most annoying feature of the case is that the arrest of a number of innocent persons on suspicion will have to be repeated. The opinion of Archibald Forbes and Mr. Winslow that the assassin is a homicidal maniac is confirmed by the latest murder, and the prediction has become general that another murder will soon follow.
Source: The Evening Gazette, Saturday, November 10, 1888
* 5 Yards = 15 feet
Note: Just where, praytell, is the mortuary photo of Mary Jane Kelly that was taken of her reconstructed remains inside of a shell or coffin? Does anyone know the whereabouts of this photo?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s